Artist | The Back Door Gallery
The Back Door Art Gallery artist
The process of my wood art:
- Cut it
- Sand all sides
- Danish oil sealer 3x on the back
- Burn it
- Seal the 5 burnt sides with Danish oil
- Let cure for 2 to 4 weeks depending on the wood density
- Pine 2 weeks
- Maple 6 weeks
- One coat every third day. Sand between coats. Continue applying coats until the indentations from the burning are filled. Number of coats required ranges from 20 to 32. I leave a tiny bit of indentation except the line work.
- Cure another 2 weeks before it is ready for sale.
My older finish process is the same except after the Danish oil:
- apply paste wax for a buttery sheen.. paste wax is 6 coats
- leave on for 6 hours before hand buffing with an old t-shirt.
- Systems 3 Boat varnish. Oil base only
- Watco Danish Oil
- Crystal Wax
- All finish materials are bought at Woodcraft of Greenville
You can contact Leslie Leuthold on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/leslie.leuthold.3
Copyright © 2021 Back Door Gallery